Thursday, September 3, 2026

"Spaceship Parenting" Raising Smarter, Kinder, More Capable Children by Ricky Arenson, MD

 


Spaceship Parenting had me laughing through the Prologue.  It was written with humor but also had elements of great teaching. It is entertaining, insightful, and funny.  I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to raise more capable children.

I was impressed and inspired by the Foundation of Nine Rules, and I wish this book had been available when I was raising my children. I take to heart the information and plan to share it with my grandchildren.


The Rules and my interpretation of them.

Rule #1- Be a Manager- Be in charge! Let your children know you care and want to keep them safe.

Rule #2- Make a Pact to Survive- You and your spouse must work together to raise your children and to keep your marriage strong.

Rule #3- Positive Energy Must Overweigh Negative- Have a positive attitude to be an example for your children. This was one of the most important things during my life raising children.

Rule #4- Work With, Not Against Them- Be involved in your children's lives. Let them know you care. Talk to them calmly and get to the bottom of issues.  Listen to their side of the situation.

Rule #5- Outcome Is Proportional to Investment- The outcome of how your children relate to you depends on the amount of time you are willing to put into the relationship. 

Rule #6- The Stop Rule- Help your children make decisions based on outcomes and accurate information. Don't make decisions based on emotion and expedience. No hasty decisions.

Rule #7- Raise Minds, Not Mayhem- Teaching is better than preaching. Learn them to become problem solvers. Explain things, answer questions and always make the time.

Rule #8- Use Technology to Advance Your Civilization- Use technology as a tool for progress. Limit your child's screen time.

Rule #9- Teach Children to Become Their Own Managers- Teach them how to manage themselves, their relationships, and their future.  They will become responsible adults.


Another part of the book that touched me is The Three Super Goals.

1. Instill in your youth an active desire for happiness.  When they are happy, they are more productive in a positive way.

2. Seek connection with others.  People are happier when they have relationships with friends, etc.

3. Teach love of family, friends, and humanity.  Then they won't put materialism first.

Growing up, I remember these three being taught. My parents had many friends that they considered more than friends. They were part of our family.  I grew up around them and felt the same.  Happiness was a result of helping others.

As you read this book, I believe you will have a-ha moments, as I did. Some things in the book you may have grown up with, but I'm sure you will find something that will bring you insight into parenting. 


To Purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on Bizwings Blog. Appreciate it.
Julie Grace